Were you as horrified as we were at dermaviduals to learn Woolies and other well-loved businesses are knowingly selling tainted honey? Sadly, as our team knows only too well, this is just the tip of the toxic iceberg. There are in excess of 40,000 chemicals used in the manufacturing of everyday products including cosmetics. Unfortunately, rules governing the use of ingredients in skincare products in Australia are not as robust as they are in other countries and that leaves us all at grave risk for exposure to toxic chemicals.
It’s never been more important to be an educated consumer. We hope this article will help you do that.
Jump on the EU Banned Wagon
Are you a label-conscious consumer? We’re not talking about going gaga for a Dion Lee tag; we’re talking about reading skincare ingredient labels. Toxic chemicals in beauty products damage, rather than nourish the skin. That’s why back in 2009, the EU voted to ban 1,328 chemicals from being used in skincare and beauty products. It was a giant leap forward for skin health as some personal care product ingredients have been linked to:
- Skin irritations
- Skin allergies
- Endocrine system disruption
In the U.S., “it’s against the law to use any ingredient that makes a cosmetic harmful when used as intended,” says the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Yet, the agency currently prohibits or restricts the use of only 11 specific ingredients.
The Australian Department of Health’s National Industrial Chemicals Notification and Assessment Scheme does not maintain a list of chemicals prohibited or banned for use in cosmetics. More disturbingly: “Current legislation allows (certain) chemicals to be used in everyday household items like tooth paste, face wash, shampoo & conditioner, skin care creams, hair care products, baby care products, sunscreen and many more items – even when science has proven direct links to adverse health issues,” says Safe Cosmetics Australia. (The SCA is a not-for-profit organisation based in Sydney, Australia. Established in 2010, SCA’s mission is to raise chemical awareness and advocate for pre-market regulations.)
6 Red Flag Ingredients in Cosmetics and Skin Care
- Artificial Fragrances – chemical fragrances are associated with dermatitis, skin allergies, respiratory distress, and even reproductive problems. (That stinks!)
- FD&C/D&C (Synthetic colours) – synthetic colours, often derived from petroleum or coal tar, are skin irritants. They are also linked to cancer and ADHD in children.
- Parabens – preservatives that possess oestrogen-mimicking properties that have been associated with an increased risk for breast cancer.
- Phthalates – ingredients such as diethyl phthalate are linked to an increase risk of breast cancer and problems with the endocrine system.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate – found in up to 90% of personal care products, this ingredient can interact with other chemicals to form a carcinogen and/or lead to kidney and respiratory damage.
- Triclosan – often found in anti-bacterial products, this ingredient can be detrimental to thyroid function.
dermaviduals – A Higher Standard
At dermaviduals, we believe skin is a precious thing and its care is far too important to be left to questionable products. Our manufacturing base is in Germany, where we strictly adhere to the EU’s rigorous safety and health standards. We follow the law and we follow our hearts, which know that keeping toxic chemicals away from our clients is more than good sense and good business…it’s the right thing to do.
We take pride in our worldwide reputation as a leading source for active skin care systems made with the finest pure ingredients from around the world:
- Vitamins including Vitamin A, B, and E
- Evening Primrose Oil
- Aloe Vera Extract
- Jojoba Oil
Our rigorously tested science-based products allow us to truly customise a skin care regimen for each of our clients, rather than use the generic blanket approach that is typical in most mass market offerings.
An Ounce of Prevention
In skincare, an ounce of prevention is literally and figuratively worth a pound of cure. Our formulations can help treat, but also prevent:
- Visible signs of facial ageing
- Sun damage
- Sensitive skin
If you need help navigating the confusing, chemical-infested waters of skincare products, we invite you to let a professional be your guide. The experts at dermaviduals are waiting to help you find the best approach to your personal skin beauty.