Medical micro–needling is a treatment designed to enhance & improve the skin and its function via the activation of the skin’s natural regenerative processes which in turn, stimulates collagen production. Along with stimulating collagen production, medical micro–needling will trigger certain cytokines and growth factors that can help to smooth the skin texture, target congestion within the follicles, reduce discolouration/pigmentation and even work to reduce the appearance of dilated and damaged capillaries.
Medical micro–needling is one of the most popular in-clinic skin treatments and has gained much popularity in recent years. Micro–needling is a pleasantly mild procedure and if the treatment is performed correctly, downtime is minimal and can be further reduced by following simple guidelines. Although you will be able to resume most of your daily activities after your micro–needling treatment, your skincare routine may need to be modified to ensure you receive the best possible outcome. Let’s take a moment to look at the best practices and skincare formulations to really maximise the benefits from your micro–needling treatment…
Immediately Post Treatment: Micro–needling Aftercare
Immediately following your treatment and into the following day, the skin may feel a little tender to touch and may still display warmth and some erythema, it is at this time that we need to take things slow and not rush the process. Your skin has been through an intensive treatment and needs to be handled with care. It is important that the formulations you choose to use at this point (and in future) work with the skin and NOT against it.
1. You need to ask yourself – Is your current home care working for or against you and your treatments?
Products containing preservatives, emulsifiers, fragrances, colours, silicones and mineral oils can lead to challenges with skin sensitivity and inflammation not to mention, these ingredients do not have an affinity with the skin and its function. Unfortunately, there are many other ranges on the market that may be formulated with the above-mentioned ingredients that can actually undo all of the good work that has been done in-clinic.
At dermaviduals, we work with the principles of Corneotherapy focussing on the use of ingredients and formulations that are designed to repair and rebuild the skin. By working with the right ingredients for the skin, we can help to build the protective barrier and its strength to ensure it is functioning and communicating correctly. dermaviduals is formulated with skin-friendly ingredients that will help the key-wound healing process’ the skin undergoes in the days and weeks following your treatment.
2. Be gentle!
In the days following your treatment, there are some do’s and dont’s to be aware of. Although you might like to resume all regular activities and prior active skincare formulations post-treatment, it is best to hold off to avoid overstimulating the skin.
Your skin treatment therapists will have provided you with detailed instructions on what to do after micro–needling. These aftercare instructions may be based specifically on your unique skin type and conditions, so make sure to follow them carefully.
- Avoid hot showers and chlorinated pools for the first 24 hours. Although the tiny micro–channels that were created during your skin needling treatment have ‘closed’, it is still important to avoid hot water and chlorinated water in the hours following your treatment.
- Avoid vigorous exercise that could lead to an increase in heat and inflammation or where you might sweat heavily. This includes intense workouts at the gym. After 72 hours, you may be able to resume these activities.
- Avoid the use of makeup for 24 hours following medical micro–needling. Mineral makeup such as deco, may be applied after 6 hours.
- Do incorporate the use of epi nouvelle naturelle+ to reduce swelling and heat. The epi nouvelle naturelle+ mask is the perfect aftercare product to support the regeneration of the skin post medical micro–needling. The unique mask composition has the ability to maintain cooling on the skin for up to 4 hours!
- Do apply your SPF product the day following your micro–needling treatment. SPF must be applied anytime you go outside in the days following your treatment.
- Do recommence the application of active serums the day following treatment. Work with ingredients that support the skin and its function.
It’s important to follow your medical micro–needling aftercare exactly on the day of your treatment and the days following. You have put in the work to prep and prime the skin in the lead up to your treatment, now the focus shifts to caring and supporting the regeneration of the skin. Remember that the skin may be vulnerable following treatment, therefore, careful precautions must be taken to prevent any complications.
3. Follow up treatment + prepping for your next medical micro–needling treatment
Depending on the depth of treatment received, your skin treatment therapist may have rebooked you for a follow-up appointment within the week following your medical micro–needling treatment.
This treatment is designed to gently stimulate the skin, its cells and systems and allow for your results to be amplified!
During your follow up treatment, your skin treatment therapist will work with gentle enzymatic exfoliation to help further smooth and flush the skin of impurities leaving the skin feeling fresh and clean. LED may also be incorporated into your treatment to stimulate cellular regeneration and tissue homeostasis.
LED will also help to stimulate cell-to-cell communication via the release of chemical messengers – the same messengers which were released during your medical micro–needling treatment which help to deliver specific nutrients and support cell growth! Further skin treatments may be recommended in the lead up to your next micro–needling treatment to ensure the skin is performing at its peak.
Finally, your home care formulations may be adapted to work with your changing skin! Changing up your home care products is another step to consider in between medical micro–needling treatments. Utilising and working with a physiological skincare range that works with the skin and not against it is key to a great result! Look for products and formulations that contain the essential building blocks for cellular health – Zinc, Omega 3 & 6, Antioxidant Vitamin A, C & E and SPF just to name a few!
Priming and prepping the skin is fundamental to superior treatment and result when experiencing medical micro–needling treatments and by following the outlined steps above, you will be assured to receive the best treatment outcomes for your concern.
So what are you waiting for? Book in for your medical micro–needling treatment with your local skin treatment therapist and ensure that they are working with globally certified EXCEED by amiea med.